Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Yesterday I was as busy as a bee. I had two projects to work on, one knitting and one painting. I shall start with the knitting one.

I finished the Noni bag; even though I used clips to block it like the author suggested, it didn't quite come out the cute shape that hers did. No matter, it was still okay. I knit and felted six roses and four leaves. May I just say that making flowers is the most fun knitting thing in the whole world?! It only took maybe a half hour to make a flower and maybe ten minutes to make a leaf, and they were FUN! I could have covered this whole bag in flowers!! Aren't they pretty?

Here is my little workstation, filled with sewing and beading stuff:

Here are the roses after felting and after beading:

Here is the whole shebang [for some reason, this was a most elusive photographic subject; the flowers are a much darker red than they look in the picture. I could not get one single good shot. Hrmph] - I was going to apply three more roses to the back as well, just to give it a completely over-the-top treatment, but I'm not sure I want to now. It does still need a strand of black beads wrapped around the handle, and I think I might cut the shorter loop to make it tighter. But those are little considerations. I highly recommend making millions of flowers and leaves to anyone who wants to have hours of knitting fun!!

Anyway, that was my morning. In the afternoon I turned my attention to my painting project. We have had, in recent years, a crisis in our dining room. We each have like 40 pairs of mittens and gloves and 30 hats and 30 scarves; in the winter they all live in unattractive blue plastic bins just inside the front door in the dining room. Please keep in mind that my house is literally (yes, literally!!) the size of a postage stamp, so things like blue plastic bins overflowing with winter detritus take on glaringly ugly proportions. So we've been on the lookout for a solution.

While poking around a local thrift store recently, I came across this sorry little cabinet. It looked like it had some potential, and it was only $5, so I said, "I'll take it!" and brought it home. Here it is, humbly awaiting a transformation:

After I slapped some paint on it yesterday and gold-waxed the handles, it looks rather semi-decent:

I am thrilled with its tidy little art deco-ish lines and also that I got to visit my favorite place in the whole world - the mighty Lewis Paints in Glenside. Oh how many happy hours have I spent there, speculating over paint chips and bristle brushes..... When we moved into our house, every wall was white, so I spent the next two years methodically covering every surface with paint. I was on a first name basis with Dave, the helpful guy at Lewis Paints. We'd have beautiful meaningful conversations about eggshell vs. semi-gloss and exactly how pumpkiny "Sweet Pumpkin" would look on the wall. Ahhhh, good times, good times.....


Blogger CurlyGirl said...

You know who would LOVE those roses? Grandma! And the cabinet looks great too. It was a very well spent day!

5:30 PM  
Blogger diana said...

Ah, don't make me cry!! I love that little cabinet - every time I pass it I smile.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Liberty Fan said...

Especially since it is an Aunt Noni hat!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home